Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Just daily bantering...

So I just went back on http://www.quitnet.net/ to see what my statistics are at the moment for not smoking, and check this out!!!

My Stats: Your Quit Date is: 1/9/2008
Time Smoke-Free: 112 days, 14 hours, 22 minutes and 55 seconds

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 2815
Lifetime Saved: 21 days, 12 hours
Money Saved: $784.00

Holy crow! Though it may not seem like I've gained much time left, it's still better than if I was still puffing on the "cancer sticks", or so my friend Dean used to call em. The money I've saved? No WONDER I've been able to pay bills off easier these days!!! However, I have cheated 3 days, and I'll tell you what happened...not that it's an excuse, but here goes:

Day 1. It's towards the end of March. My better half has been off work for a month before finding out he needs knee surgery. I'm freaking out trying to find out how I'm going to be able to pick up slack on the bills AND work overtime AND still worry about school and mid-terms...I had 3 smokes that day while catching up on laundry and dishes, since he couldn't move around and help with the chores. I felt like crap the whole next day.

Day 2. The beginning of April, I believe it was April 3rd, I'm studying for the HESI test for the nursing program for school with a friend of mine, and avid smoker, and I'm stressing out to the point where I'm going to throw up. I bummed 2 smokes prior to the test that I shouldn't have, I had a nicotine buzz for the next hour while taking the exam.

Day 3. We come to April 19th, the day of the car accident, and I'm getting a ride from Matt's cousin back home...since I no longer had a mode of transportation. Bummed a smoke from him in the car to try to relax since I was on the phone for almost 45 minutes talking to my insurance company about what had happened in the past 2 hours. Ended up having another one after Matt had come home while I was waiting for the Advil and ice to kick in, they didn'tfrom work prior going to the ER for shoulder x-rays. Bad idea, I felt sick while sitting in the waiting area.

Now I'm not thrilled that I cheated a bit, but you better believe that that is a whole lot better than smoking a pack+ a day. I am a bit proud that I have not bought cigaretted since Jan, and Matt knows I won't. Now it's just a matter to get him to stop smoking in the bedroom (something that was law, but has slowly been tested these past couple of weeks). It's getting warmer, you can start smoking more outside...please! So yeah, I'm going to have to be a little more abrupt in my choice, though he's been strictly told to no longer let me sneak cigarettes...he is to keep the packs in his truck, and to not let them leave his side when we are home together.

Other than that, went to the docs, I've got torn ligaments in my left shoulder, most likely an after effect of the accident, and need to have an MRI done on Friday. What a splendid way to spend a day off of work! At least I can sleep in...I was going to try to catch to the train station down the street from the hospital and I'd have been in transit more than actually being at work. Plus, I'd have to wake up almost at 4am just to make it to the other train station. Besides, I've got plenty of vacation time, and I will be reimbursed for my time off!!!

So that's what's going on here. Just workin, slacking with reading blogs (Sarah and Linds, you 2 kill me with your blogs, and I'll probably get fired for slacking off...lol), and waiting till I can get out of here. Peace, and I'll check back with ya's later!

3 comments:

Sarah McBride said...

yay for you Dawn! I am so proud of you for quitting, that is awesome!
keep up the good work, and only cheating 3 days is AWESOME.

keep it up, you are saving money, your health etc!

Cary McNeal said...

Yes, good job. It's not an easy thing to do. Took my dad years of trying to finally stop. Many say quitting smokes is harder than alcohol or drugs, so kudos to you.

Anonymous said...

You know the deal...every week you don't smoke after one month of no ciggies gets you a massage. So...how many do I owe you now? Damn, I'll be busy in Vegas!